Dora the Explorer is an international phenomenon, reaching millions of viewers daily on Nickelodeon (DStv channel 305). And now she’s coming to South Africa! Sandton City, South Africa’s premier shopping destination, is renowned for its children’s entertainment at Christmastime so it’s no wonder Dora the Explorer chose the centre as the place where she’d most like to spend the holiday season.
- On Aug. 14, 2000, Dora the Explorer premiered on Nickelodeon and instantly ranked as the number-one rated preschool show on commercial television.
- Dora was the first Nickelodeon Preschool character to appear online prior to making her on-air debut, on Aug. 14, 2000.
- The first Spanish word taught on Dora the Explorerwas azul (blue).
- Dora the Explorer is broadcast all over the world, syndicated to TV broadcasters in 151 markets and translated into 30 languages.
- Dora teaches Spanish in the U.S., Australia, Canada, New Zealand and Ireland, but teaches English in every other market around the world.
- The inspiration for the name Dora Marquez wasexploradora, the Spanish feminine word for explorer, and the acclaimed writer Gabriel García Márquez.
- Every episode of Dora the Explorer is screened by at least 75 preschoolers before it airs on TV.
- More than 20 educational and cultural consultants have worked on Dora the Explorer since the series premiered.
- Approximately 300 people work on Dora the Explorer, and it takes over a year to produce a single episode of the show.
- Dora the Explorer has been honored with awards including the Peabody, NAACP, Alma, Imagen, Latino Spirit, Gracie Allen, Parents’ Choice Award, the Television Critics Association Award and 16 Daytime Emmy nominations.
- In 2005, the Dora the Explorer balloon made its debut in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Dora was the first-ever Latina character to appear in the parade.
- Swiper and Map are voiced by the same actor, Marc Weiner.
- Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt helped prepare their older children for the birth of their twins by showing them an episode of Dora the Explorer where Dora’s mom has twins. (Source:People magazine, Aug. 18, 2008).
- Rosie Perez, John Leguizamo, Cheech Marin, Hector Elizondo, Chita Rivera, Esai Morales, Paul Rodriguez, Richard Kind, Susie Essman, Ricardo Montalban and Howie Dorough have all guest-starred on episodes of Dora the Explorer.
Related Posts via Taxonomies